Re: Exporting from US to UK and other EU nations

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Exporting from US to UK and other EU nations
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 07:30:22 -0700 (MST)

<< I want to know:
 - how easy it was to get the phytosanitary certificate
 - roughly how expensive it was
 - how easy was shipping - what mail service did you use?
 - where you live
 - what feedback you had from the recipient of the plants
 - any amusing or useful anecdotes

Graham---
how easy it was to get the phytosanitary certificate. Answer:  It varies from
State to State.  If you live near an international airport, you can take your
shipments there and have them inspected by US Dept of Agriculture people.
 Time consuming. Have to make appointements.  Each State has its own
Agriculture Dept, and agents authorized to inspect and issue photosanitary
certificates for US Dept of Ag.  Some States make you take plants to them.
 Some charge fees of various amounts.  I live in Virginia.  Virginia promotes
trade and business.  All I have to do is let the State people know I have a
package ready for inspection.  An agent comes at an appointed time, inspects,
and gives me the certificates. They charge nothing. I try not to abuse the
system and do as many at one time as I can.  But they will come for one
shipment or 30.  Accross the Potomac River, 5 miles away, in the State of
Maryland, it is not as easy, and there are fees.