Re: Exporting from US to UK and other EU nations

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Exporting from US to UK and other EU nations
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 07:31:01 -0700 (MST)

<< I want to know:
 - how easy it was to get the phytosanitary certificate
 - roughly how expensive it was
 - how easy was shipping - what mail service did you use?
 - where you live
 - what feedback you had from the recipient of the plants
 - any amusing or useful anecdotes

- how easy was shipping - what mail service did you use?  I am sorry that I
hit the SEND button on previous message before I was finished, ergo the
message was not signed either.  I have always used the mail system for
overseas shipments.  Very dependable.  For beardless irises I use special
international 2 day delivery---a little more costly, but worth it.  For
bearded irises I use US priority mail---a little slower than the other
service, but more than adequate.

Re feedback I have received, it has been very positive from all EU countries.
 There is one EU country that is more troublesome than the others.  GERMANY.
 In the age-old German bureaucratic traditions stretching back through
Prussian days, the German inspectors are rigid to the extreme.  They have
never rejected a package of mine but once held one up because, can you
believe it, it did not have an original bill of sale inside the package.
 Would not accept a pink copy on a $100 order.  But we managed to get the
package released through fax's, phone calls, and email. Hope this all helps,
Clarence