Re: iris bucharica

Iris bucharica survived here in central Virginia (Zone 7, a or b
depending!) for about three years, then mysteriously disappeared.  I
suspect a vole got it.  It was planted at the top of a rock garden in more
or less full sun and in fairly heavy, organic soil.  Very attractive plant
and I recommend it heartily.   Given its background it should do well in
Kansas--likes to bake in the summer.

Bulbs can be had relatively inexpensively from Van Borgondiens or sometimes
from Parks.  I'm sure there are other sources as well.

The Juno question--do they really need the storage roots?  I have read that
if these roots are not present, the plants will not be able to establish,
but have also read the opposite (that it doesn't matter).  Any experience
out there?

Best wishes, Bill
William A. Shear
Department of Biology