Re: rot

Amy Rupp wrote:
> One question:  by poking around on my rhizomes to check for softness, my
> fingernails may have scratched them a bit.  Is this like an insect
> wound?  Do you all just not touch the rhizome, wear gloves, or cut your
> fingernails real short?

I don't believe that an iris rhizome is that sensitive as to turn to rot
from a fingernail scratch.  I would be more concerned about soil
conditions than the rhizome.  (Here I go again iris-l).  If your iris
are grown in the same bed year after year you will get a buildup of
Erwinia (bacteria which causes soft rot) and other things such as fungus
and insects.  The addition of compost or alfalfa pellets helps. Better
yet add the preceeding and then solarize in the summer for a few weeks.
The results will be startling!  Another solution would be to rotate if
you have the space.  Iris love new soil!  With these solutions
fingernail scratches will be irrelevant.

Rick Tasco
Central California
Zone 8