Re: CHOCOLATE VANILLA

At 03:58 PM 18/02/97 -0700, you wrote:

>	I was outside cleaning beds in our glorious sunshiny 70+ weather
>and noticed two separate rhizomes of CHOCOLATE VANILLA had rotted over the
>winter.  I had the same problem with this two years ago.  Is this another
>one like SKOOKUMCHUCH?=20
>
>	Several of Barry Blyth's seem to succumb over the winter. And,
>others are antsy to get started growing before winter is over and
>sometimes get zapped by the cold in March.  Does he live in a freeze-free
>area of Australia, and could his location-climate be the opposite of mine,
>hence the problem I have with tenderness in his irises?  I love the wild
>colorations he produces.
>
>	Someone who has been to Australia or knows about the climate where
>he hybridizes, please respond.
>
>	Walter Moores
>	Enid Lake, MS

Barry Blyths nursery is on the Mornington Penninsula in south eastern
Australia. I can't be sure but I would expect any frosts they had to be very
light maybe -3=B0C at the coldest overnight rising to 10-15=B0C during the=
 day.
The soil would certainly never freeze, so this may well explain your=
 problem.

Simone Clark
Canberra Australia
simone.clark@ento.csiro.au