RE: Aphids

Gack, Steve!  Before you spray with Malathion, which is NOT a benign chemical,
just try washing the aphids off your iris with a strong stream of water.  Once
off, aphids can't get back up.  And the ones which remain will not do much
damage, but they will attract predators such as ladybugs and (later on)
lacewings to keep them under control...  If you spray, you will destroy the
predators, too.

Barb in Santa Fe