Re: Cold-weather Spurias

It is interesting to see the different perspectives on climate.  Gerry
identifies Highline Snowflake as a spuria that might live in the cold of
Kentucky!!  I would have thought that the problem was more likely
whether it could live in the wet of Kentucky.  Spurias come from an area
of the world that generally has very dry and hot summers and often cold
winters or warm in winter, very much like San Diego. There are not many
grown in the Ottawa area (I consider this area cold and Kentucky hot!
Having lived in La Jolla, I can understand why one might imagine
Kentucky cold.) but those that grow here do well.  I have quite a few
seedlings that are in their second or third year but so far only one
that has flowered.  Height does not seem to be a factor as those at the
local botanic gardens are over 3 ft.