B and T World Seeds

Anner Whitehead asked me about the above named company. I had not come
accross them before, so I sent for their catalogue. My reply to Anner's
request is below - I thought that other listers might be interested (Anner -
I hope you do not mind me sending this to the list as well as to you
privately)

I have now received the catalogue - although I sent my payment to Somerset,
the catalogue was sent from France ?? In fact, the order form has the
Somerset address deleted and a sticker giving the French address.
To send the catalogue outside of Europe (airmail), they would charge #14
sterling. Payment by Visa or MasterCard to r@thesys.demon.co.uk or snail mail
B&T World Seeds, Route des Marchandes, Paguignan, 34210 Olonzac, France. The
charge is #10 for European destinations.
They have a large web site at:
http://ourworld/compuserve.com/homepages/b_and_t_world_seeds

I'm not sure if the list was worth the ten pounds that I sent - it contains
only a list of names (no descriptions or cultural info), but there are three
columns of fine print on each page, and 93 pages.
Many are named cultivars that would not come true from seed (perhaps 20% of
those listed).
The catalogue is also hard to read - tiny print and a very complicated price
structure.
As far as iris and other irids go, there are about 100 Iris, 40 Watsonia, 40
Crocus, 80 Gladiolus, 15 Sisyrinchium - also our woody friends Nivenia (2).
Plus there are loads of Geraniums, Campanulas and much more that I haven't
had time to study yet.
I have made some further enquiries amongst nursery colleagues - couldn't find
anyone who had actually had seed from them, but the concensus was that they
do not keep these seeds, but have them collected to order. At least that
means they are likely to be fresh, but I wonder how relaible their sources
are.
Anyway, it does seem interesting - if you order seeds, let me know what they
are like for service and quality.

Graham Spencer
Croftway Nursery, UK
croftway@aol.com