BIS Convention (full details)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: BIS Convention (full details)
  • From: Croftway@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 07:48:19 -0700 (MST)

Details as follows (these were included in the last AIS bulletin, but I shall
reproduce them here anyway because so many have asked for them - hit the
delete key now, although note some hotel info below)

Convention Registrar:
Mrs Thelma Naylor
4 Amherst Close, Maidstone, Kent ME16 0JB, England

Registrations must be received by 11 April.
Convention date: 23 - 26 May inclusive
Venue: Hadlow College of Agriculture and Horticulture, Hadlow, Kent
(Hadlow is between Maidstone and Tonbridge if you look on your maps!)
Registration fee: #75 (include tours but not hotels or final banquet)

Schedule:
Friday May 23
3pm - 7pm: Registration

Saturday May 24
7.30am - 8.30am: Registration continues

Saturday tour options:
1. RHS Garden at Wisley (includes BIS trial grounds) plus one nearby private
garden.
or
2. Sissinghurst (garden of Vita Sackville-West) and Finchcocks (house and
garden)
or
3. Chartwell House and Gardens plus two private gardens

Sunday tour options:
1. Hever Castle, Chiddingstone village and Abbotsmerry Garden
or
2. Leonardslee Garden and Nymans Garden
or
3. Penshurst Place and local gardens

Monday tour options:
1. Rye ancient port, Great Dixter garden and Brickwall House and Garden
or
2. Five private gardens in Kent
or
3. River Thames boat trip

Monday night: Farewell Banquet (optional extra) - price #16

Hotels: the BIS has arranged three hotels, giving special discount rates.
Details from Thelma.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Leavers Manor Hotel is fully booked.

Payments in sterling only, payable to British Iris Society.
Attendees flying to the UK are advised that the closest airport to Hadlow is
London Gatwick, although Heathrow or Stansted will do (much easier journey
from Gatwick by rail).

I will not be in attendance at the convention, but you are welcome to either
see me at Chelsea Flower Show the week before (advance tickets only), or come
down to the nursery after the convention. We will be at peak bloom in the
week immediately following the convention, and our iris picnic weekend is the
one following the convention weekend - i.e. May 31st/June 1st.
The nursery is situated in Barnham, near Bognor Regis on the Sussex Coast,
about two hours by road or rail from Tonbridge, or 100 minutes by rail from
London Victoria, or just 45 minutes by rail from London Gatwick airport. We
are just ten minutes walk from Barnham mainline railway station. From London
Victoria or Gatwick, board any train bound for Portsmouth or Bognor Regis -
both these routes call at Barnham.

I hope that this is useful. If you need more info, let me know, although I am
only passing this on and I am not involved in the convention organisation at
all.

Anybody coming over? - let me know! I'd love to see you.

Graham Spencer, UK
croftway@aol.com