Re: STBs in mild climates

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: STBs in mild climates
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 09:31:30 -0700 (MST)

Charley Kearns wrote:
> > Would Charley in his very mild zone (8 or 9)? be able to successfully
> > grow STBs?
> > Amy Moseley Rupp
> I am assuming I will have a certain amount of success growing the STBs
> since I purchased them at the local Iris Society sale.  Any other
> comments appreciated.
> Charley Kearns
> Los Gatos, CA (foothills)

Hi Charley--

First off, I corrected the "thread"--they're SDBs (Standard Dwarf
Bearded) and not STBs.  Wanted to correct that before we might cause
confusion in some of the newer members.

Since we're not that far away, let me relate our experience in growing
SDBs--winter cold nights seem to be the main factor.

When we lived in Apache Junction, Arizona we had a terrible time trying
to grow SDBs at all.

However, here in our Mariposa County location at 1,250 ft., they do VERY
well.  We usually get between 20 and 30 frosty nights a winter, even
though the coldest night may only be 26-27 degrees.  That seems to be
enough because they do wonderfully.

But, a little closer to you, but lower elevation, in San Jose, they can
be somewhat marginal because of the real lack of winter frosts.  What is
your altitude over there in Los Gatos and how many frosts do you get in
an average winter--that will be the determining stat I think.

Best of luck with your SDBs.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California foothills (Zone 8)--where the SDBs grow beautifully
and will be at peak bloom in about 4-5 weeks!