Wild Garlic in Louisianas

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Wild Garlic in Louisianas
  • From: "Michael Cook" <macook@iglou.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 09:34:18 -0700 (MST)

     Wild Garlic has always been a problem here.  In most cases it is
manageable, but it is most severe in the Louisiana Irises.  When I try to
pull it out, some of the bulbs break off and thus remain in the soil, only
to grow again.  There is a limit as to how much digging I can do without
harming the Louisianas.  Is there a reliable way to prevent the Wild Garlic
from growing?  Are there any chemicals that can be used on Wild Garlic that
will not harm the Iris?  I think that my flower beds keep getting
"inoculated"  with weed seed from some neighbors' unkempt yards.

Mark A. Cook
macook@iglou.com
Lexington, KY USA Zone 6 (officially)