Mountains & irises (was Martha, etc)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Mountains & irises (was Martha, etc)
  • From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 09:35:47 -0700 (MST)

	 you have to go thru any number of passes in the mountains before
>you drop down into the eastern half.  Everyone of the passes are covered
>with ice and snow again,  One of the passes has 10 feet of snow built up
>that has never melted.

	Nicki - we call these passes 'notches' in the White Mountains
	in New Hampshire. One of the notches, Franconia notch, was  used
	 as a name for an iris by the late Robert Graves of Concord, NH
	= FRANCONIA.

	Also a town in New Hampshire, Boscawen = LADY BOSCAWEN.

	I am considering having a Graves garden (hoping the irises don't
	actually make it a graveyard). :-))) Larry Doucette informed me
	that some of Graves' intros are difficult to find...the HIPS
	has one listed as being grown in a garden in France...should all
	be grown in New Hampshire, too. Looking out on the Kilkenney
	Range of the White Mountains...

	The weather up here is very mild yesterday and today - 40 deg.F
	 but we have plenty of snow so there is not much of a dent in
	the snow covering my irises. :-)))

	Ellen Gallagher   e_galla@moose.ncia.net

Ellen Gallagher	\ e_galla@moose.ncia.net \ Lancaster, New Hampshire,USA
		USDA Zone 3a \ Northern White Mountains