Re: Report of Springtime in the South (U.S.)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Report of Springtime in the South (U.S.)
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 13:11:08 -0700 (MST)

Donald Mosser says:
>After our good 2 inches plus of rain last week, it seems that all of my
>irises have been sparked into active growth.  If this growth rate and warm
>weather keeps up, I will have a very early bloom season this year!

Ditto here in Little Rock, Arkansas. Very heartening. BUT I already have my
first case of soft rot, one rhizome of NIGHT AFFAIR which I let be covered
by two big oak leaves. The rhizome's growing vigorously from pips on both
sides even though the main fan rotted away. Tell me, pros, if I handled
this prudently? I cut away the bad part without digging the plant and
sprinkled the whole rhizome with Ajax cleanser with Bleach.

Should I have dug up the plant?

Today we're getting a steady rain. Should I sprinkle on more cleanser when
it quits?

celia
storey@aristotle.net   USDA Zone 7b
Little Rock, Arkansas