Re: souces for I. milesii and I. laevagaeta var. purpuresens

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: souces for I. milesii and I. laevagaeta var. purpuresens
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 18:08:48 -0700 (MST)

<<    I would like to find sources of seed or plant (preferred) for Iris
 milesii (sp.?) a tall iris from China and Iris laevegaeta var. purpurescens
 (sp.?). I am typing from memory from Kohleins "Iris" book. >>

Laurie's Garden (Lorena Reid) in Springfield, OR has several selections of I.
laevigata and may have I. milesii.  Do you mean the iris Kohlein pictures
facing page 283 and calls I. laevigata albopurpurea?  Kohlein identifies it
as such and points out it is pictured in The Genus Iris by Dykes
also---unfortunately the iris in the Kohlein book, while exceedingly
beautiful, is not the same iris as in the Dykes book. The purple speckling on
the white ground is sparcer than  the var. albopurpurea in the Dykes
book---even more telling---how Kohlein could have missed it I do not
know---the picture in his book has six falls, while the one in the Dykes book
has 3 falls.  I do not know what the iris is in the Kohlein book.  It is
different than any that I have grown and it is not pictured in the only book
on this subject, Horinaka's Iris Laevigata.  I wish I could get the one in
Kohlein's picture!

Now, about the true I. laevigata var. albopurpurea:  it is much mixed up in
this country with a cultivar called COLCHESTERENSIS, which has 6 falls.  I
have purchased albopurpurea in the past from a couple of sources, but always
received COLCHESTERENSIS----which is exceedingly beautiful, but not
ALBOPURPUREA. If anyone has the true cultivar I would suspect it was LAURIE's
GARDENS.  Clarence Mahan in VA