off subject- Banana slugs

Yep the Banana slug is the official mascot of the Santa Cruz campus of the
University of California and a fine one it is at that. I am actually fond
of the slimy little guys with their bright cheerful color. I love the idea
that the school doesn't take itself to seriously. You all know what I mean,
most schools have mascots like grizzly bear or bobcat or cougar. Actually
around here ( and I live in a redwood forest) the banana slug doesn't
bother the garden plants much. They don't seen to like the clearings so
stay in the forest in the deep mulch. I think they are symbiotic with the
redwood trees but maybe our resident bug guy (or mollusk guy) could comment
on that. I wish the little grey slugs were so polite in the garden. I am
having a war with them. Has anyone on this list used ducks or geese to keep
slugs and snails down? How are they are garden residents? Banana slugs are
ever so slimy though and you don't want to get that stuff on you, you need
gasoline to get it off. Yuk a zoola
Karin Hinsen
Central Coast of California, Santa Cruz
Mild summers, Mild, wet winters