Re: Bloom Season

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Bloom Season
  • From: Dana Brown <ddbro@llano.net>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 19:42:42 -0700 (MST)

>        Barb and others, do you ever have an SDB bloom at its registered
> height?  In TX and in MS they rarely top the foliage, maybe 8" is the max.
> The only one that grew up out of the foliage was PATACAKE, but I really
> think PATACAKE  is an IB because of its height of bloom and lateness in
> the SDB season, although, as I remember, it is registered as SDB.
	Here in Lubbock my early SDB's bloom low most of the time.  As the days
wear on these same clumps and the later blooming ones move on up out of
the foliage.  IMHO it is related to weather temperatures.  The years
where we have a later freeze more of the SDB's bloom short.  Even so, I
wouldn't part with mine.
	It appears that all of my Danfordiae have disappeared.  Last years I
had batches of them and this year none.  Is this normal or is it our
weather?  Maybe the nice snow and now rains we are having will help.  We
are well over our monthly average.  Yeah!  Let it Rain, let it Rain, let
it RAIN!
Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7
of rain a year.  Our average wind speed is 12.5 mph and we have an