Re: BLACK PRINCE, et al.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: BLACK PRINCE, et al.
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 20:53:18 -0700 (MST)

<< More like one of those hypnotic spirals --
 CORDELIA = parentage unknown
 BLACK PRINCE = parentage unknown
 LIBERIA = parentage unknown >>

The only reason that CORDELIA and BLACK PRINCE are sometimes "confused" is
that Bliss, it is fairly certain, did not really know what the parentage was
of DOMINION.  He told people he was keeping it a secret for years.  Most
people guessed at AMAS (aka MACRANTHA).  Then Bliss indicated the other
parent was probably CORDELIA (a very old lilac/lavender). Other experts were
almost certain the other parent was BLACK PRINCE (because of its silky dark
falls).  BLACK PRINCE is the most likely candidate...but I don't think anyone
knows or has ever known for sure.  It could hardly have been CORDELIA.

There was an iris named LIBERIA before BLACK PRINCE was introduced by Perry.
I They were not the same iris.  But later somehow some nurseries started
calling BLACK PRINCE by name of "Liberia"........We know this confusion
existed in Vilmorin's garden in 1922 because it is noted in Les Iris
Cultives.  I don't think anyone knows what the original LIBERIA was because
it was lost before the 1939 Check List was prepared.  This is my
understanding based on looking at various books and from correspondence with
Mike Lowe.  Clarence Mahan in VA