Roundup Sprayer

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Roundup Sprayer
  • From: Curt Marble <cmarble@tiac.net>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 06:35:52 -0700 (MST)

Carol Blais wrote:

>Another method of isolating the Roundup spray is to use a litre
>soda bottle with the bottom removed - put it over the offending plant
>and spray into the bottle. You may have to make a hole in the side
>of the bottle (in that case, keep the cap on it) and spray into that
>hole.

I tend to use Roundup in my landscaped/bark mulched areas on those weeds
that are difficult to kill (eg. deep rooted dandelions).  (Those who visited
during MASS Medley can think of the "Little Rock" area with the Kalmias,
etc. and those who didn't visit will, I hope.)  Plants are not inter-mingled
here, but I am always worried about drift of the Roundup, so my husband made
me a spray guard related to Carol's idea.  He took the largest clear plastic
soda bottle and cut off the bottom end.  Then he drilled a hole in the metal
cap which he fastened onto the end of the sprayer wand (the one devoted to
Roundup ONLY).  The cap remains on the wand permanently with the threads
facing down over the end.  This way we can screw on the guard when we want
to spot-spray weeds and it temporarily becomes part of the spray wand.  This
also allows me to spray on breezy days...I just leave the guard over the
weed until I figure all the spray has settled.  It's more time consuming
than just spraying away, but better than nuking a desired plant.  I've
suggested to Curt that we should try to market this idea, but he's way too
laid-back.

---------
Kathy Marble <cmarble@tiac.net>
Harvard, MA