Plants from seed (was sources of milesii and laev. albopurp)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Plants from seed (was sources of milesii and laev. albopurp)
  • From: Croftway@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 09:53:24 -0700 (MST)

In a message dated 20/02/97  14:37:46, Clarence said:

<< But, I. laevigata var. albopurpurea (Chad told me by email that this is
the
 iris he meant in his message)  will not come true from seed, even when the
 iris is selfed and controls maintained to prevent corruption.   This is true
 of all the named  forms of I. laevigata.  But it's fine to grow the I.
 laevigata forms from seed---you might even get something you like
 better---but odds are you will get mostly purples.

Sorry, should have thought about that - made myself look a fool )-:
Too excitied at the prospect of a new keyboard (old one died screaming from
occasional pounding during iris-l's more heated discussions!)

<< For example, there are many pseudo ROSE QUEEN's
 circulating especially in Europe >>

...blame the Dutch
Until recently, most nurseries over there seem to have had the attitude that
"if you can't grow it from seed, it isn't worth growing". At last a few have
realised that cultivars can be propagated by division, and you get better
plants that are true to name.

Graham Spencer, UK
croftway@aol.com