ADMIN: catalog requests (was Re: Certain Threads)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: ADMIN: catalog requests (was Re: Certain Threads)
  • From: Tom Tadfor Little <telp@rt66.com>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 11:12:13 -0700 (MST)

Graham writes

:Further to Sharon's comments, I think that half of the problem is that those
:who are a little inexperienced with their computers post catalogue requests
:without realizing that all 250 odd members of the list will get to see them.
:When you send a post to "iris-l@rt66.com" we all get to see it!!

Yes. Perhaps it's time for another polite reminder: Please read your
welcome message. Or, if you prefer, the military version: RTFM.

The welcome message addresses these sorts of technical points, and also
covers the list policies regarding subject lines, signatures, and so on,
which many seem to need reminding on.

If you ignored the instruction to save your welcome message and deleted
yours, you can read it on the web at the Iris-L web site

under "About Iris-L".

:If anyone issues a catalogue, why not put that information in your signature.
:Then you will be advertising your business for free in a way that does not
:intrude on the working of the list, and those who want to get catalogues will
:know exactly how to get them and who to send mail to. Also it will encourage
:the nursery folks on this list to particpate, as all of us tend to grow and
:experience more varieties than most amateurs.

I think that's an excellent idea. A lot of people don't see every posting,
and putting the catalog request info in your signature means it will be
more accessible to people. But there is absolutely no problem with also
posting messages announcing your catalog.

:And I for one will definitely continue with the humour here and there
:(provided it does not become excessive, personal, libel or just plain
:boring!) - we have some funny people on this list, not to mention some good
:poets! ((-;

Well, yes, we do have some funny people on this list.

Happy irising, Tom

(in Santa Fe, where the danfordiaes are trying to persuade the crocuses to

Tom Tadfor Little                   telp@Rt66.com
Iris-L list owner * USDA zone 5/6 * AIS region 23
Santa Fe, New Mexico (USA)
Telperion Productions  http://www.rt66.com/~telp/