Hi! I'm new!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Hi! I'm new!
  • From: Diamondidis <boogins@his.com>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 12:13:25 -0700 (MST)

Hello!  Actually I'm not all that new since I've been lurking for about
a couple weeks now reading all the messages on the list.  I am an iris
amateur, especially considering that I feel rather lost after reading
the messages!  I don't think I've had any problems with my iris except
for some overcrowding.  I grow mine in a very small circular bed
(probably about 4 feet in circumference) on what I would estimate to be
a 45 degree slope on the sunny hill in my backyard.  I used to have some
light purplish/blue iris and some iris [with dark purple falls and, I
think, bluish top parts] that smelled like grapes (I have no idea what
their names were!).  This year, I planted new irises:  Iris
Chrysographes, Spanish Iris, German Mixed Iris, and Iris Pseudacorus
(rainwater tends to collect at the bottom of the hill).  I would love to
get my hands on some Persian-type irises!
	As for me, I am 29 (but breathing hard on 30), married, have a son who
will be 5 on 7/7 and another child on the way (due 8/8). I go to college
(trying to complete my bachelor's) part-time and work from home doing
transcription, also part-time.
	I have a question - can I put some of my compost on top of my irises
which are just starting to poke up out of the ground?  Would it take the
place of fertilizer?

Kim Diamondidis
Zone 7, but just barely
Germantown, Maryland

(For those of you in Virginia, I was born and raised in Arlington and
now my parents live in Remington, if any of you are familiar with those
places.)