Re: B and T World Seeds

Following Graham's posting on this company, I thought I would add a little
more, as I have used this company before.

1.  Graham was quite right to say that they do not carry everything on their
list in stock - they are actually a seed sourcing company - they get their
seed from collectors, producers & growers worldwide.  You put an order in
and you can usually expect to start seeing things a month or so later.  They
continue to arrive for up to a year.  If my experiences are anything to go
by, about 70% of a mixed order would have arrived by then, the rest not due
to crop failures etc.

2.  If you look at the named cultivars, you will see that in fact what is
being offered is mostly micropropagules, bulbs, rhizomes etc. rather than
seed.  A lot of the complexity in their list is due to the fact that it is
telling you this, as well as conveying prices for quantities ranging from
single packets up to kilogram bulk lots.

3.  You don't need to buy their catalogue.  It's all downloadable from their
web site in zipped form.  Actually, there is more info embedded in this than
in their catalogue.  It is however an ASCII database file, so it is
difficult to read.  You can load it into wordpad (it's over 3MB long, so you
need adequate memory to do this) and take a look to see if they can source
what you want, but the best thing to do is to load it into Excel.  Since the
file is comma-delimited, you can then get back all the original formatting,
which makes it a lot easier to understand.  If anyone wants to try this and
has no luck, e-mail me and I'll be happy to send guidance.

4.  I have found them reasonable to deal with.  All the seed types I have
bought from them have been species or wild types, and I have not seen any
difference in germination capability as compared with other similar
wild-collected seed I have bought elsewhere.

Hope this helps

Ian Black   ianblack@easynet.co.uk
Alton, Hampshire, UK  mintemp -8C