Re: Hi! I'm new!

STOP KIM!!!  Don't put compost on top of established TB irises!  It will
invite rot.  Compost is good for irises when mixed in the planting soil but
very dangerous if applied as a mulch.  Also, one never knows how finished
the compost is.

This made me think back exactly 40 years to 1957, the third or fourth year
I grew irises.  I had made a compost pile from the vegetable garden debris,
it had sat all winter, and so I thought it would be great for the irises (I
was 15 at the time and of course,  knew everything).  This despite the fact
that recognizable cabbage stems, corn cobs, etc., could be seen.  I put the
stuff on over a light snow cover and by the time real spring had arrived
lost everything in that bed.  It's called learning the hard way!

Best wishes, Bill
William A. Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College