Re: BLACK PRINCE

This went out privately but possibly should have gone to the list.
I have long been fascinated with 'Dominion' and its progeny and will have a
follow-on to this...
Sharon asks...

>Is BLACK PRINCE an ancestor of CORDELIA, or are these synonyms?

No and possibly

>The '39 CL identifies Amos Perry's most famous iris as "BLACK PRINCE, from
>which descended the DOMINION race".
>
> If I read Simonet correctly, both BLACK PRINCE and CORDELIA are synonyms f=
or
>LIBERIA -- but my French is a bit rusty, to say the least.

There has been a dark neglecta in commerce since the early 1800s. Usually
it cataloged under the name 'Black Prince' or an amazing number of
variants, all with the connotation 'handsome dark iris.' I can well believe
that Bliss used a clone with the up scale, unsullied name 'Cordelia' rather
than the much traded, aliased, debased, name 'Black Prince.'

Cordelia (Parker 1873), was heavily used by Bliss and by no other. Whatever
the provenience of this iris we can assume with confidence that in all
listed instances of parentage, Bliss used the same cultivar. I now grow or
have grown the five iris descended from 'Cordelia' and I would believe a
blue-purple toned silky neglecta, such as Black Prince was usually
described, standing behind them. I have never grown, seen, photographed or
viewed a depiction; of the iris called 'Cordelia' -- it is sometimes
described as a neglecta on the magenta-purple side.

Bliss crosses using 'Cordelia' are:

As a pod parent:

Dominion (Bliss 17)     Cordelia (Parker 1873) X Macrantha (Van Waveren 07)
Clematis (Bliss 17)     Cordelia (Parker 1873) X Princess Beatrice (Barr 189=
6)

As a pollen parent:

Sweet Lavender (Bliss 19)  Mme. Chereau (L=E9mon 1844) X Cordelia (Parker 18=
73)

=462:
Pioneer (Bliss 24)   ((Pacquita x I. pallida) X (Cordelia x Paladin?))
Marsh Marigold (Bliss 19)    ((Cordelia x Thorbecke) X (Amoena x Maori King)=
)

Cheers,

Mike,  mikelowe@tricities.net   --   http://www.tricities.net/~mikelowe/
South Central Virginia, USA