African Iris

Dear List Readers,
	Since no one had any advice about how to plant Moraea iridioides, =
African iris, I treated them like I do my tall bearded iris.  I =
separated the large clumps into individual rhizomes. Out of three big =
clumps, I got about thirty individual iris.  I cut the green leaves at =
12 inches.  There were many bloom stalks that were getting ready to open =
so I cut these off and put them into a vase on my kitchen table.  I =
wasn't sure if they would open.  What a surprise I had today. Three of =
them opened and six more are about to open.  I never looked closely at =
them when they were growing in the landscape at my mom's.
They are absolutely incredible!  Each has six white petals , three of =
which contain bright yellow  markings in their centers.  The other three =
have brown plicata like markings where beards would be.  In the center =
on top of these petals is a purple trinity with split spaceage like =
tips.  It is truly an experience to have them in front of me as I eat or =
paint.  These are worth adding to your collection.  They are incredible =
in landscapes as they form clumps of three foot greens.  The flowers are =
4 inches and are abundant and continual.  These are an iris that we =
should all grow.  Will they grow in cold climates? =20
				75Degrees in SanDiego
				Sharlyn  srocha@pacbell.net  (zone9)