Re: PALTEC

Anner writes...

>I understand that this is a cross of Iris tectorum and the
>bearded iris EDINA (Lemon,1840)

True indeed, although the fact that EDINA is a somewhat unusual pallida is
nearly always overlooked in present accounts.

>I also understand that similar crosses involving tectorum have
>been successful, but the plants do not persist.

The cross is EXTREMELY difficult to succeed with when using garden
varieties of pallida. (ref: Bob Pries)

> and if it is known
>which tectorum was used.

Denis was not known to specify which tectorum was used. Absent
documentation, the common blue form is the most likely candidate.

>I would also be interested in suggestions as to
>likely bearded candidates for crossing if one was interested in trying again.

Why not use EDINA? EDINA has one unusual trait which it has passed to all
descendants that I grow. Specifically, it is the latest TB to bloom in my
garden. B.Y. MORRISON, a child of EDINA also exhibits this lateness,
blooming with EDINA.

Cheers,

Mike,  mikelowe@tricities.net   --   http://www.tricities.net/~mikelowe/
South Central Virginia, USA