siberians - questions

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: siberians - questions
  • From: ECPep@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 09:36:12 -0700 (MST)

Siberians obtained as divisions, some quite small divisions, planted  after
bloom seem to take 2 or 3 years to establish into fair sized blooming clump.
 I have some purchased at a club sale still slender clumps with 3-5 flowers
after the third year.  One plant from a nursery, the older cultivar 'Orville
Fay' has grown gangbusters for me.  A few tetraploids have also done well.
 The newer cultivars are so------- slow!
We are zone 5 on the map but altitude gives our garden zone 4
characteristics.  The soils are improved and mostly mild to strongly acid.
 There is usually good spring rain.  Some that are close to being compost
here are Lydia Winter, Gull's Way, Harbor Mist, King of Kings, and Wizard.
 Could the zone 4 shortened growth season affect these plants?  We are late
to start and have killing frosts mid-September.   It is a rare year w/o a
frost through October.

Does Reprise really bloom for 7-8 weeks ?  For the writer in Utah, zone 4.
 What could be the differences in your zone 4 Utah and zone 4 northeast.  We
are in upstate New York near Berkshires. Consequently - iris interest is in
survivors!

Claire Peplowski