Re: siberians -Reprise

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: siberians -Reprise
  • From: Curt Marble <cmarble@tiac.net>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 16:24:32 -0700 (MST)

Claire asked:
> Does Reprise really bloom for 7-8 weeks >>

Clarence responded:
>Several people have responded to your message, Claire, so I shall try not to
>be redundant.  About REPRISE and "preferential repeat bloom"---note the term.
> There are no true reblooming Siberians to date, and Dr. McEwen uses the term
>"preferential repeat bloom" to describe the habit of some Siberian and
>Japanese cultivars to put up a second crop of bloom stalks soon after the
>first rush of bloom is finished.  Sometimes one may get one or more bloom
>stalks a bit latter, and even from time to time in late summer or fall---but
>don't expect this.  As a rule, the colder the climate the more likely you are
>to get "preferential repeat bloom" on those cultivars that are prone to do

I'm don't know if you would term it "preferential repeat bloom", or
"continuous bloom" but my experience with Reprise (two established clumps)
is that it sent up new bloom stalks before the first rush finished.  In
fact, Reprise bloomed for me 6/13/95-7/28/95 and 6/2/96-7/23/96.

Kathy Marble <cmarble@tiac.net>
Harvard, MA
zone 5