borers and temperature

A few years ago, I learned from a very successful iris grower in Region 3
that iris borers will hatch on the day that it first turns 72 degrees
Here and many other places may today have hit that mark or come close
enough, much earlier than we would expect.  If what I've learned is correct,
then I'm led to another question--will the little buggers that seized this
opportunity be taken out if the temperature gets sufficiently cold again?
And how cold would it take?  Do I need to start spraying early this year?
Jim Wilson, Oxford, OH, USDA Zone 6a, AIS garden judge, Region 6
growing medians, TBs, Siberians, JIs, and a few SPU and species
wilsonjh@muohio.edu     http://www.muohio.edu/~wilsonjh