Re: weed control among irises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: weed control among irises
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 18:53:33 -0700 (MST)

WWIEKHORST@aol.com wrote:

> We have used Surflan as a preemergent to control weeds and have had no
> apparent
> bad effects.  I have used 2 tablespoons of the orange liquid per gallon of
> water in a
> sprinking can and the orange coloring it gives to the drenched ground lets
> you know
> where you have covered.    The application of Surflan lasts
> approx 1 yr
> here in Colorado.

We here at Superstition have used surflan for approximately 3 years with
no ill effects either.  However, I will warn you to make sure the iris
plants are rooted before you use the surflan.  It can be sprayed right
over the top of the iris, but they must be rooted and in a growing
state.  Of course, surflan doesn't kill weeds that are already there, so
the area must be weeded first.  Surflan requires 1/2 inch of water to
seal and activate (this 1/2 inch of water must come within 21 days of
application).

We rotate our iris every year, so we don't have any effects of build-up
of surflan in the soil that we have heard from some growers that have
used it repeatedly in the same area.  However, maybe they didn't spray
it properly?  We have never seen any bad effects at all.

We use 1 1/4 ounces of surflan in our 3-gallon back-pack sprayer and we
see no orange effect on our ground at all.  The application rate we use
stops weeds from emerging for approximately 6-9 months.

In California Surflan is also sold under the manufacturer name of
Monterey and the brand name of Weed Stopper--same product.  For the many
of you locally in California, you can find this Monterey Weed Stopper
product in regular stores like Orchard and Home Base (or Home Depot,
can't remember which one).

BUT READ THE LABEL CAREFULLY!!! (as with ALL chemicals)

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California foothills--65 and beautifully sunny today, planted
some blueberry bushes this morning, and cut acres of grass all
afternoon.