Re: siberians - Can this be Caesar's Bro?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: siberians - Can this be Caesar's Bro?
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 22:49:04 -0700 (MST)

<< Also, a question about the name. I am aware that CAEZAR was originally
 registered with that spelling, though it was corrected to the more standard
 form about 20 years ago. I have never seen the BROTHER mentioned in print
 as anything but CAESAR'S.  >>
The correct name is CAEZARS BROTHER (And with no apostrophe).  Morgan
introduced CAEZAR in 1930, and CAEZARS BROTHER in 1932.  In 1974 the
Registrar approved a change of CAEZAR to CAESAR "to correspond to common
usage"---an inappropriate change in my opinion.  CAEZARS BROTHER, a far more
populer cultivar, has not had its name changed.  It is often sold under the
"common usage"  spelling.

As with many historic cultivars, especially Siberians, there are spurious
clones that circulate in the trade, and in local iris sales.  I think I have
the correct cultivar, and it is the one that is most commonly grown under
that name---but who can be sure?  The foliage is fairly good at holding up
straight, but does flop a bit.  I do not find this habit unattractive.  HIGH
STANDARDS has foliage that remains straight and tall, and is a superior

Clarence Mahan in VA