Re: weed control among irises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: weed control among irises
  • From: Croftway@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:53:15 -0700 (MST)

Warren talks about using Surflan - oh how we miss Surflan. It was withdrawn
by the manufacturer (ICI/Zeneca) over here a few years ago becuase they did
not sell enough of the stuff to justify the cost of having the licence and
safety certificate renewed for UK sales ))-:
It is (in my expereince) the safest and one of the most effective
pre-emergent herbicides (and the bright orange dye is great for seeing where
you have been). By "safe" I mean you can use it over lots of different crops
(except very shallow rooting plants, e.g. viola) and it is very low toxicity
(the main hazard from ingestion is mild diarrhea! - I think you would need to
drink five gallons neat to kill yourself!)

Hopefully, one day we will be able to buy it once more.

Graham Spencer
Croftway Nursery, Barnham, Sussex, UK