Re: siberians -Reprise

>In a message dated 97-02-21 18:44:14 EST, Kathy Marble wrote:
>
><< I'm don't know if you would term it "preferential repeat bloom", or
> "continuous bloom" but my experience with Reprise (two established clumps)
> is that it sent up new bloom stalks before the first rush finished.  In
> fact, Reprise bloomed for me 6/13/95-7/28/95 and 6/2/96-7/23/96. >>
>
>That sort of performance is what Currier calls "preferential repeat bloom".
> Clarence Mahan in VA

	I do not grow Reprise but I have had "rebloom" (my own term) in two
	Siberians that I grow. By this I mean, there was a substantial per-
	iod of time that elapsed (don't have the '96 notes in front of me
	this early AM) between first bloom period and the "rebloom".

	For instance, High Standards bloomed the normal time and then bloomed
	in August (ok, only two new blooms) and Illini Encore (two different
	plants - well, it started out as one plant and I divided it)
	rebloomed twice after the initial bloom in June. Once in the first
	part of August and once in the latter part of August. The last
	bloom was very near to the ground and not typical of this wonderful
	Siberian.....a third I.E. was the first to bloom in my garden around
	the middle of June. Peak bloom for Siberians is around July 1st here.

	I was much interested in Clarence's post regarding My Love and its

	use in Currier McEwen's breeding program....none of Currier's SIs
	rebloomed or repeat bloomed here. I wonder if Varner also used
	My Love in his program at his Illini Iris nursery?

	Good morning,

	Ellen Gallagher     e_galla@moose.ncia.net

Ellen Gallagher	\ e_galla@moose.ncia.net \ Lancaster, New Hampshire,USA
		USDA Zone 3a \ Northern White Mountains