Re: siberians - Can this be Caesar's Bro?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: siberians - Can this be Caesar's Bro?
  • From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 05:39:43 -0700 (MST)

	Clarence wrote:

>The correct name is CAEZARS BROTHER (And with no apostrophe).  Morgan
>introduced CAEZAR in 1930, and CAEZARS BROTHER in 1932.  In 1974 the
>Registrar approved a change of CAEZAR to CAESAR "to correspond to common
>usage"---an inappropriate change in my opinion.  CAEZARS BROTHER, a far more
>populer cultivar, has not had its name changed.  It is often sold under the
>"common usage"  spelling.

 	Thank you Clarence - I'll add this to the reams of facts that I
	didn't know about Siberians....I thought everyone was 'making a
	mistake' in the spelling. :-))))

>As with many historic cultivars, especially Siberians, there are spurious
>clones that circulate in the trade, and in local iris sales.  I think I have
>the correct cultivar, and it is the one that is most commonly grown under
>that name---but who can be sure?  The foliage is fairly good at holding up
>straight, but does flop a bit.  I do not find this habit unattractive.  HIGH
>STANDARDS has foliage that remains straight and tall, and is a superior
>cultivar.

	Another reason to garden in the North....my CAEZARS BROTHER  stands
	up all season and doesn't reach the height that is indicated for it.
	Maybe I have the wrong cultivar?

	ILLINI ENCORE exceeds the height indicated for it and HIGH STANDARDS
	is perfect....in every way.

	Ellen Gallagher     e_galla@moose.ncia.net

Ellen Gallagher						"I yam what I yam!"
e_galla@moose.ncia.net					      Popeye
Lancaster, New Hampshire, USA
USDA Zone 3