Re: siberians - Can this be Caesar's Bro?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: siberians - Can this be Caesar's Bro?
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 06:46:58 -0700 (MST)

<< Another reason to garden in the North....my CAEZARS BROTHER  stands
 	up all season and doesn't reach the height that is indicated for it.
 	Maybe I have the wrong cultivar?
 	ILLINI ENCORE exceeds the height indicated for it and HIGH STANDARDS
 	is perfect....in every way. >>

Perhaps when I said that the foliage of my CAEZARS BROTHER did flop a bit I
overstated its habit.  It is by no means a floppy foliage iris, just not
"perfect" in having tall, straight foliage say, in comparison with HIGH
STANDARDS.  And re ILLINI ENCORE exceeding the height indicated in
registration book, I think you probably have found that heights of all
registered irises are relative.  It is rare for a Louisiana or Spuria iris to
 reach its potential in Northern VA, but Siberians and Japanese irises will
often grow taller.  In registering irises, breeders do the best they
can---but plants will not be so constrained as to perform the same
everywhere.  How boring if they did.  Clarence Mahan in VA