Re: siberians -Reprise

<< I do not grow Reprise but I have had "rebloom" (my own term) in two
 	Siberians that I grow. By this I mean, there was a substantial per-
 	iod of time that elapsed (don't have the '96 notes in front of me
 	this early AM) between first bloom period and the "rebloom".

The reason that I will not use the term "rebloom" for Siberians is that what
they do is quite different from rebloom in bearded irises.  I recently had to
adjust my thinking about Japanese irises based on Gigi Hall's information
about how they perform where she lives in Fremont, California---but I am
still not prepared to use the term "rebloom" for how they perform either.

Most of the second wave of bloom on Japanese and Siberian irises occurs in
very cold regions---not in mild climates.  And the wave of secondary bloom is
usually soon after the initial peak bloom is past.  George Bush (of PA) first
told me years ago that he is convinced that most if not all the secondary
bloom on Siberians and Japanese are bloom stalks that are delayed because of
late spring freezes.  I have had no reason to question George's wisdom on
this until Gigi told us how some Japanese irises perform in her area. I still
think George is correct on this, but would like to reconcile this with Gigi's
information---right now I am trying to keep and open mind.

This I am very certain of:   What Siberians and Japanese irises do (and some
spurias and Louisianas) is not the same as what bearded rebloomers do.  The
beardless irises do not appear to go through a vigorous new growth cycle like
the reblooming bearded irises (although I am not sure about this with
Japanese in Fremont).  I know if these beardless irises are advertised as
"rebloomers'" that most of the people who buy them and expect rebloom are
going to be terribly disappointed. Clarence Mahan in VA