Re: Cold-weather Spurias

Ian wrote:

"Height does not seem to be a factor as those at the local botanic
gardens are over 3 ft."

Gerry wrote:
"But around 3 ft is short for a spuria (I'm not sure how much over 3 ft
you mean). Six feet is common here."

I was being conservative when I stated that spurias are over 3ft.  There
are not a great number of spuria plants that I know about in this region
but the ones that I have seen would be closer to 4ft in height.
Certainly, I do not believe that they could reach 6ft because the
growing season is short.  For example, we would plant out bedding plants
about the 24th May and first frosts usually occur in the first half of
September.  Vry few plants reaches 6ft in a season -the Mexican
Sunflower, hollyhock, foxgloves (may be),..... I can not think of
anything else at the moment.

Ottawa, where there is about 4 ft of snow and the temperature is
drifting  quickly between -20C and + 5C!  Freezing rain has given us a
one inch cover over everything and construction on my new conservatory
has stopped until we either get cold weather or warm weather.