Siberian thankyou

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Siberian thankyou
  • From: ECPep@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 01:04:33 -0700 (MST)

Thank you for all the Siberian comment.  I will share all of the information
with my iris buddy on the next hill.

Of all the commentary, I am intrigued by the question of light intensity and
how it varies from section to section of the US.  Could flower bud production
vary, the size and quality of the flower, etc by some combination of light
and frost free growing days.

Zone 4 defined by temp alone is not a wholly accurate barometer.  We are
constantly finding plants hardy here but rated zones higher.  The significant
difference is usually they do not fruit, flower well or complete a season
before frost.  Old garden roses grow well but do not achieve the height and
spread seen just l00 miles south along the Hudson River.

We have some, foolhardy as it may seem, Louisianas, spurias and a few
species.
These are new plantings and are in raised beds and mulched heavily.  If they
can form blooming clumps we will locate them in the garden.

Iris sanguinea (called Siberian in our part of the world - common all over
town) grows. seeds and multiplies on our old farm site.  Clumps are in the
fields, along the walls and because it is a sheet of blue in June it is also
in all the gardens anywhere it chooses to grow.

I would appreciate any continuing assistance especially from cold area iris
growers.

Thank you all again,

Claire Peplowski