Re: Exporting to Russia

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Exporting to Russia
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 09:33:17 -0700 (MST)

Croftway@aol.com wrote:
> Dana
> Contact your local USDA office - they will have all the info regarding
> licences, health certificates, etc.

We looking into sending rhizomes to Russia a year or so ago and were
told by our ag people here that Russia has a very strong quarantine law
and the plants would have to go through a severe inspection/quarantine
program that including some kind of strange soaking process they use in
Russia for all imported plant material?  Needless to say, we skipped
Russia and export to many, many other countries who only need a phyto
and nothing else.  Russia was one of the more difficult countries to
ship to, at least that is what our ag people have told us.

Doesn't matter if the rhizomes are coming from a commercial nursery or
back-yard gardener.  IMHO, they would even be more severe on a back-yard
gardener because at least the commercial gardener would be inspected,

But don't let me discourage you from trying, maybe laws are just tougher
here in agriculturally-rich California.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California foothills--Zone 8--the red-wing blackbirds are back,
they started their song above our pond yesterday!