Re: weed control among irises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: weed control among irises
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 09:32:58 -0700 (MST)

Dana Brown wrote:

> Rick Tasco says:
> It can be sprayed right
> over the top of the iris, but they must be rooted and in a growing
> state.  Of course, surflan doesn't kill weeds that are already there, so
> the area must be weeded first.  Surflan requires 1/2 inch of water to
> seal and activate (this 1/2 inch of water must come within 21 days of
> application).
> --
> Rick,
>         At what time of the year do you consider your iris in a growing state?

Dana,

As long as your transplanted iris are ROOTED.  Give them a slight tug
and if there is resistance, they are rooted (or rooting) and it is OK to
spray surflan.  We usually wait at least 2-3 weeks after transplanting
to begin the surflan spraying.  Of course, we transplant our entire
field every year.  And sometimes we wait longer to spray the surflan,
depends on when the next storm is due in off the Pacific, since our
rainy season can sometime wait until October or November to start.  The
field transplant is usually completed by early-mid-October.  Hope this
helps.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California foothills--Zone 8--64 degrees and beautiful
yesterday; completing the transplant of some daylilies into pots for
sale this year in the garden.