Re: Classifications of Iris

At 05:32 AM 2/23/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I am considering putting in iris in my oriental lily bed to add some early
>season color.  This is a very sunny area with quick draining soil and an
>underlying clay hardpan (about 2 ft down).

>Would iris do well in this area?
>How do I contact the AIS?
>Thanking you in advance for your help.

Welcome to the list.

Your first question I hesitate to answer since I'm new to growing irises
myself, but I would guess that the bearded irises, perhaps the dwarfs would
do well in a well drained site with limited depth.  Also maybe the
Arilbreds, Sharon McAllister (a member of this list) could tell you more
about these.  Also much depends on your climate and soil pH, etc.  Please
tell us where you're located and I'm sure you'll be flooded with
suggestions appropriate for your growing conditions.  Also, you could be
lucky and already live in an area where there is a very active local iris
society.  A local society can also be a good source of what would grow well
for you in your climate.

As for contacting the AIS:

Membership and dues: Marilyn Harlow, P.O. Box 8455, San Jose, CA 95155

Annual membership rates are $18.00 (single membership) and $23.00 (dual
Triennial membership, single = $43.00, dual = $54.00

The AIS membership includes four nicely done color bulletins each year
(100-120 pages on average).  Bulletins include cultural information,
information on new varieties of irises, business of the society, show
schedules, and an advertisement/catalog section (and much, much more).

If you join now, you should receive the January, 1997 issue with you
membership packet.

Again welcome to the IRIS-L.

Donald Mosser

North Augusta, South Carolina, USA