Exciting New Reblooming Iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Exciting New Reblooming Iris
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 21:36:26 -0700 (MST)

Yesterday, Saturday, the members of C&P Iris Society, with some Francis Scott
Key members also, had a delightful afternoon meeting, with several slide
programs given by Ginny and Don Spoon.  The extraordinarily talented Ginny
(who grows irises to perfection and is always winning Queen of Show!) showed
a Reblooming Iris Society slide set, and a slide set of various rebloomers
puting on their summer and fall bloom in her own garden.  Wonderful!

Olive Rice-Waters, Slide Chairman for the Reblooming Iris Society, asked
Ginny to have all in attendance vote for the iris shown in the RIS slide set
that they liked best.  Lloyd Zurbrigg will pleased to learn that the
overwhelming favorite was the iris CLARENCE (and it wasn't because I was in
the audience either!)  Olive has also asked that if anyone has really good
slides of reblooming irises, please contribute slides to RIS for the slide
sets.

Don Spoon showed slides of some of his newly introduced irises and some of
his seedlings.  Don is a hybridizer who is going to become much better known
in the future. He has some of the most exciting seedlings I have seen in
recent years, including many rebloomers.

The most exciting iris for me was one of Don Spoon's 1997 border bearded
introductions called PEACH PARASOL.  This is a ruffled and flared peach
bitone with falls overlaid orchid and beards of darker peach.  Great
branching.  It is in northern Va almost a continuous rebloomer.  Hybridizers
on this list are going to be fascinated by its pedigree:  FAUX PAS X OZARK
EVENING.  This is an incredible cross for a rebloomer!  A Keppel line times a
Ken Fisher tetraploid miniature tall bearded iris. Iris breeders will
understand how outrageously innovative this cross is.   I have already asked
Ginny and Don to save me a rhizome of this one.

The Spoons are introducing a number of other new irises this year including
several rebloomers.  The introduction I liked best after PEACH PARASOL is not
a rebloomer, but a lovely baby pink tall bearded called PRINCESS ELEXIS.
 Ruffled and laced.  There are not a lot of pinks that do well in the EAST,
so this is a needed introduction.

If you are interested in learning more about these, Ginny has a price list
with hundreds of irises, and many rebloomers, listed.  It costs $2.00.
 Winterberry Gardens, 1225 Reynolds Rd, Cross Junction, VA 22625.  I am quite
amazed at some of Don's seedlings, and thought others on this list might be
interested also.   Clarence Mahan in VA