tender ancestors and early bloom

I was thinking about all those tender little growing shoots on my tall
bearded irises and how the Midseason and MidseasonLate blooming irises always
seem to rot less and bloom more (and of course freeze less) and wondered if
there is any correlation between amount of warm climate (tender) ancestry and
tendency to bloom early.  I have learned to avoid the early and even most of
the midseason bloomers if I want to be sure to have bloom here and I wondered
if there might be a link with early frost damage (and subsequent rot) and
those warm climate ancestors.

gorgeous weather, daffodils starting to open, and one transplant of BABBLING
BROOK rotted (the horse apples rolled on top of part of it).