Re: burrowing rhizomes

Celia Storey in Arkansas wrote
>In clearing the TB bed I've found several rhizomes that during the hard
>rains of winter seem to have burrowed down into the neat ridges I carefully
>planted them atop
>
>Is it OK for me to dig these fellows now and reset them (maybe atop a
>half-inch or so of sand). Do I need to wait until summer or fall? What if
>they get sick before then?

I had to laugh over this one Celia - about a year ago, I posted something
about burrowing rhizomes and the only responses I got were the same ones you
have gotten so far (deafening silence).  This may not happen to anybody but
us.  Only some of my varieties do this.  I have no idea if it's something to
worry about.  One might hope that they (the plants) know what they are doing
and that it's ok.  But who knows.  I went around and raised some of mine by
sticking a spade fork under the whole clump and prying it up a little bit.
 Improves drainage, if nothing else.

I would not reset them this time of year - too likely to set them back.  If
you want to get the soil off the rhizomes, maybe you could use a heavy stream
of water from a garden hose to wash the soil away.

I don't doctor sick plants, so somebody else will have to answer that one.