Iris tectorum variegatum

I'm pretty sure that if the picture in the Van Bourgondien catalog is of
what they are actually offering, it is the much more common Iris japonica
variegata, not tectorum variegatum.  The flowers shown in the picture are
definitely japonica, not tectorum.  Iris japonica would not survive in Zone
5.

The true Iris tectorum variegatum is quite rare.  I believe there was a
thread about this on the list before that resulted in one source being
given, but I no longer have that file here at the office.

Of course there is a chance that they really do have tectorum and just got
a picture of japonicum by mistake.  You will note in their fall catalog
that they have a picture of a regeliocyclus hybrid labelled as "Spanish
Iris."  If you order based on the picture you will be disappointed, since
they in fact supply real Spanish Irises--smaller versions of Dutch Irises.

I wrote the company about both these error more than a year ago and had no
response, and the errors continue.  This is disappointing because I've been
a customer for years and have always been satisfied with the good value
they provide.

Best wishes, Bill
William A. Shear
Department of Biology