Greeneville Iris Festival

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Greeneville Iris Festival
  • From: James Brooks <hirundo@tricon.net>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 13:02:20 -0700 (MST)

The Greeneville Iris Festival is an arts and crafts festival, being held
this year on the weekend of May 17. Other than painting a large iris bloom
on a street intersection and having a creekside iris walk of some 6-10 small
beds planted by local sponsors or garden clubs, the only iris seen here is
on t-shirts.
I talked with the Greene County Partnership about an iris show, and they
said the same thing they said last year, "Yeah, we talked about that." So I
asked what I could do to get it past the talking stage, and they said they'd
bring it up at a meeting this Thursday night.
I am a new iris grower, who just discovered iris-l this week. I've never
been to a show or a judged event, but I'm hoping a lot of you out there have
and would be willing to give some input into what it would take to put one
on in less than three months.
My guess is that it is of too short a notice to do a judged event,
particularly at the peak of the bloom season, but if I'm wrong, let me know.
Greeneville is about 75 miles east of Knoxville, TN, and is an interesting
historical town, being where Andrew Johnson began his political career by
being elected to the town council. In fact today is the anniversary of his
impeachment! I checked with the Andrew Johnson Museum, and they said no
special festivities were planned.
Let me know if any of you would be willing to:
1. show iris
2. help put together and run this show
3. judge?
I'd like to have something to take to this meeting Thursday. You can e-mail
me directly or through Iris-L.
James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
hirundo@tricon.net