Re: Greeneville Iris Festival

James Brooks wrote
>I am a new iris grower, who just discovered iris-l this week. I've never
>been to a show or a judged event, but I'm hoping a lot of you out there have
>and would be willing to give some input into what it would take to put one
>on in less than three months.

Sam Johns helped start the Greeneville club (whose name escapes me at the
moment - are you in this club?) so there would be an AIS affiliate closer to
where he lives than our Knoxville based club.  He has expressed some
frustration about the lack of activity in your club so might be a good ally
in putting together a show.  Bill Greise, who I think also helped get your
club started, is an experienced show person and might be willing to help get
the first one going.  It's way too far away or I would offer to help.  We are
having our March meeting the first Weds (week from day after tomorrow) if you
would like to join us and put in a plea for help.  (it usually conflicts with
the Knoxville TOS meetings - boo).  We meet at the Old Country Buffet off
I-40 in Knoxville in the small shopping center off the Walker Springs exit in
west Knoxville.  Most folks get there early to visit and eat - the meetings
start at 7 I think.  I am still groping for a program - want to come talk to
us about birds?  Otherwise we will look at slides of iris from Phil Williams'
garden in Eagleville TN this past spring.

If you schedule your show on a weekend other than the one of our show (oops,
sorry, for all you show people, it's a demonstration?), we could loan you a
bunch of bottles.

All you have to do to have an unjudged 'show' is find a place willing to let
you have it that has a water supply, put up tables, get bottles, and get
folks to bring irises.  We have our shows all day Saturday and Sunday
afternoon in a University of Tennessee meeting room.  The only other show
(judged) I've seen was in a middle school cafeteria in Lebanon TN.

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east TN USA