Re: Thistles

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Thistles
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 19:12:44 -0700 (MST)

Patricia Wenham writes (Sunday, 23 Feb 97):

> I have two suggestions for you to try when attempting to eradicate
> thistles.  See your county extension agent.  They will give you
> suggestions for various ways to eliminate them.
>
> If you have a county weed board see them.  If the type of thistle you
> have is classed as a noxious weed they will assist you.  We have several
> types of thistle here and some are classified as noxious weeds.  The
> county has a group of seasonal employees who hand pull weeds each year
> and they also offer chemical sprays at a reduced cost.  You may decide
> which route you wish to take.

You must have a more user friendly local government than we do. In northern
Utah Dyer's Woad (Isatis tinctoria) - the stuff the ancient Britons used to
turn themselves blue - is a publicly classified noxious weed. Property
owners are responsible for suppressing it on their land. If they neglect to
do it, the county will do the job and bill the property owner.

With respect to thistles, I did obtain the following information from the
Proceedings of the 1996 Northeastern Weed Science Society.
	100% control of Canada thistle can be obtained by applying RoundUp at the
rate of 1.1 lb active ingredient (Glyphosphate) per acre when the weeds are
3 to 8 inches high. Applications at the rate of .75 lb Glyphosphate per
acre achieved
93-95 % control of Canada thistle. 1.1 lb per acre translates into .04 oz
per 100 sq ft. Note that this is dry measure and refers to the active
ingredient in RoundUp, not the actual spray product.

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
cwalters@cache.net
"This is the Place" - still sunny and cold, and now windy,too - plants that
have begun to grow seem to be regretting it!