Correction re. C.G. White program

In cleaning out files to release some disc space, I ran across an old message in
which I had oversimplified Tom Wilkes' conclusions about C.G. White's program to
develop fertile arilbreds -- so much so that I feel I left entirely the wrong
impression.  Must have been while TTL was out of the country, 'cause I can't
believe he actually let me get away with it!  Anyway, I suspect no one noticed
(or cared?), but I do want to apologize and set the record straight by providing
a few more details:

White's two foundation series were DIPLOIDS.   These were the ones for which his
crosses were fairly well-documented -- but the iris he used often dated from the
era in which pedigrees were rarely noted.  Later, he also worked with tetraploid
TBs, but this was mostly after he changed to using abbreviations to handle the
sheer volume of crosses so we actually know even less about which ones might be
in the ancestry of our modern arilbreds.

White's "A" series consisted of  regelia and oncocylus species and their
crosses.  These were predominantly diploids, but probably included some
triploids.

His "B" series was pogon on regelia or onco until 1942. He used both diploid and
tetraploid pogon iris, but had the greatest success with the diploids.  After
1942, "B" meant only that onco influence appreared to be predominant.  Most of
the ones introduced from this series that were later counted turned out to be
diploids, but Wilkes believed that White also found useful triploids in this
group.

His "C" series was aril on pogon.  Some of the talls used were diploids, but
many were tetraploids.  Most of this series was discarded as they were not very
onco-appearing, but there were a few useful diploid & triploid breeders.

His "D" series was a parallel line of TBs maintained for use with the other
series.

His "E" series consisted of "iris known to have onco in them" until 1942.  After
that, White defined them as "pogon influence predominant".

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745
Once again, with more than most of you wanted to know....