bloom season

A few days back, Walter asked if any of us who grow SDBs have them grow at
registered height.  Well, yes.  I find that if they don't get too much warmth
early on followed by the usual spring freezes, they will get to the proper
height.  The ones in my extremely exposed main beds and the ones in tree wells
usually do well.  It's the ones in the protected south-facing bed that often
bloom down in the foliage, undoubtedly due to overeager stalks getting
frozen--I also have trouble with the TBs and arilbreds I mistakenly put in
that bed, so they are obviously going to have to be moved.  This year (oh,
okay, okay!).

Barb, in Santa Fe, where a discouraging word is being heard on this cold windy
night.  IrisMaven@msn.com